A butterfly valve is a quarter-turn valve which is used to regulate flow. The initial butterfly valves were available in large sizes (6″ and above). Butterfly valves have only a couple of part in contact with the process fluid. Uses of butterfly valves can result in reduced weight, space and overall cost requirements.
Applications of butterfly valves
- Throttling service requiring low pressure drop.
- Corrosive service needing lining in the valves.
- Slurry or abrasive service.
- High pressure and high temperature steam service.
- Cooling water, fire water, circulating water etc.
- Vacuum services
- Agricultural and waste water treatment .
Advantages of butterfly valves
- Open and close easily and quickly, fluid resistance is small.
- It can operate frequently and good regulating performance.
- Simple structure, small size and light weight.
- It can carry mud, with the least accumulation of fluid.
- Low pressure, it can achieve a good sealing.
- Quite reliable and require little maintenance.
- Available in very large sizes.